Thursday, June 23, 2011

Picking and Planting

Today was a profitable day, in practical and spiritual days (hence the title :) I’ll start with the practical and end with the spiritual.

I went with Cris to help her with some more errands she had to run. She definitely reminds me of a Proverbs 31 woman- in charge of so much but stays on top of it all. When we got back, she asked me if I wanted to help her pick avocados. I had never done that before, so I was intrigued. She handed me this long pole-like contraption with a wire like basket at the end. I had to get it in the right position in the basket and then I had to pull. Doesn’t sound too hard, but the stick was really long! It would hit the ground too soon if it wasn’t at the right angle.Ha, there were some guys working in the yard, and they probably got a kick out of watching me try. It was a fun experience though!

Later in the afternoon, I went on a walk with Margarita and her son. Margarita is their maid. In South American cultures, it is very common to have a maid to help around the house, even for the common, middle wage family. I have been praying for an opportunity to talk with her, and because she is Catholic, well that’s just a shoe-in for my dad’s testimony. However, when I try to witness to someone in Spanish, I am more limited because of my vocabulary, but praise God He can use even my poor, ill-worded Spanish! I did get to share with her some of my dad’s salvation testimony, and then we talked about the Bible. I ended up telling her a shortened story of the book of Ruth (because I have been studying that with my dad). She didn’t know the story, and though I am sure my explanation was feeble, maybe she will be interested in reading it too. God gave me a few other opportunities here and there with certain comments. I didn’t explain the Gospel in completion, but Lord willing, it will stir to keep looking. Jorge and Cris and Ruth have had many talks with her too. Through the way they live day in and day out, they are hoping she begins to see and understand the Gospel. Please pray for Margarita, and her two children, Diane y Carlos.

Tomorrow I am going to observe at a school, well at least I think I am observing. Jorge wasn’t even sure exactly what I would end up doing. I would appreciate your prayers tomorrow as well. I will continue to observe at this school until Wednesday of next week. That’s all for now. Es tiempo para dormir!

No comments:

Post a Comment